Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Karmin. Because why not.


  Let me start off this review by showing you a picture of me at home before I left.




And here's me right outside the building.




And here's me right before the concert.




                                                     Feeling the magic all up in thurrrrrrrrr



                                           
       Okay, that last picture might not have been me, but it perfectly shows my exact feeling going into this concert and knowing I'm really only in there because "Hey, why the fuck not". Also because I love using that picture and have never had the chance to use it.

       So yes, this concert was free. I got it from the wonderful people at http://do415.com/. My random flooding of every magazine in the Bay Area that had a contest for free tickets led me to this. Going to see Karmin, an act that only interested me because I actually enjoy Broken Hearted and can tolerate her other songs. Also free apples at the Fillmore.

       If you don't know, Karmin is known for this:





 
       You may have heard it once or twice. To me at least, it was one of those songs that I listened to on the radio and just attributed to as a throwaway single from P!NK or Katy Perry that gets played on loop for a bit until their next song. It's cute, it's poppy, and it translated well live. 

BUT WHAT THE FUCK EVER GET ON WITH IT. HOW WAS THE CONCERT?

The Opener: Bryce Vine.

He sucked. A lot.

 
                                          
Behold Youtube celebrities. This is your creation.

      Okay I know that isn't exactly "professional" but I'm not a professional dammit. This guy was unbelievably pathetic. He's the hate-child of Niga Higa and a kids bop CD from the early naughts. All of his songs were him poorly rapping over the worst sampling I've heard. His name is perfect, he's just like a really bad Vine account: short, annoying and loud. It consisted of him and a DJ on a table with his name on it in bright rainbow colours. Ick.

      To be honest, the only thing that kept me in that building was the fact that I already wasted 3 bucks driving here and I wanted to see something decent at the end of this. Fillmore shows end up being shorter than most so along with Bryce only getting a 30 minute set, there wasn't a second opener. This concert started at 8 going to end around 10 so fuck it, I've stayed longer and later for worse shows. 

Also Flappy Bird.
                                            30 minutes in the poster room led to this. Thanks Bryce.

The Headliner: Karmin

       Not too bad actually.

       As performers they worked well in getting the crowd going. It's all cheeseball pop, but it's not painful pop. Amy Heidemann has a half-decent flow and never seemed too nervous or out of place, and she worked well with her partner Nick Noonan.

                                                                     No, not him.

       You see, there are two ways I will hate a concert: either it will bore me or annoy me. I knew going in that it probably wasn't going to be boring, but I was afraid that either them or the audience would be too annoying. I was relieved to find out that they were able to perform their songs with a certain level of professionalism and grace and they kept it interesting the whole time. The backing band all knew their shit and Noonan rocked it on the trombone. And as I said before, Heidemann has a decent flow and is actually a really great singer.

                                              Also red and white. GOD I LOVE RED AND WHITE.

The Crowd:

       More often than not, shows that send tickets out for free usually do so to fill space or to put butts into seats. This was very much the case in this concert, but the half full floor was able to get a good vibe going. The general age range was from around 16-30, along with some kids I saw with their parents straggling along. They were never too rowdy or annoying, and seemed to have a decent time. I'd add a picture of them, but my crappy camera phone just picked up darkness.


                                   It's good to know Karmin's biggest influence played here once.

Overall:

      I can't complain. Pop music has never really been my jam but in a place like the Fillmore a lot of things kind of click. It was entertaining, the color scheme was a personal like, and I had a good time. That's all I could have asked for.

Score: 6/10

 

No comments:

Post a Comment