Monday, February 24, 2014

Magic Trick.

Another free concert review? Another free concert review!

*insert enthusiasm here*
        This time my tickets were generously won from Amoeba San Francisco through a twitter contest, and despite my lack of knowledge of Magic Trick, I was quite excited from what I heard from their latest album. This was also the album that actually got me to use Spotify so I could actually listen to it. Yes, I finally gave in.

Opener #1: Joseph Childress

       The best way I can possibly describe this band is just straight up rock and roll.




       A little on the harder side, which is weird because if you listen to his album it's all very subdued and quiet. Still, they all seemed like they had a great time playing and it kept my attention. For the most part.

Opener #2: Kevin Morby

       Another very solid opener, a bit more subdued than the first one and the second guitarist was replaced with a keyboardist


         Pleasant stuff. I remember some of the songs having a slight Vampire Weekend and I appreciated that. The keys melded well with the rest of the band, almost to the point where I almost couldn't hear them. They had less stage presence than the first opener, but the tunes were nice enough to keep my interest the entire time.

Headliner: Magic Trick

       Hooray! They only played songs off their new album. Normally I'd complain about this, but that's all I had listened to of theirs.

There is another keyboardist slightly off to the left.
        Since they only played their latest album from beginning to end, it was a bit short, but I like concise concerts. They played what was fresh and new and they played it well, even though the ending of Crazy Teeth goes on a little longer than I hoped. I enjoyed the vocal harmonies, don't get me wrong, but hearing the two female singers sing "We like pretty girls" over and over again kind of gave me the heebie-jeebies for some reason.

Also horns. Yay horns!
       Also I'm pretty sure the guy playing the Trumpet was riding the white pony while playing, but that's just me.

 Crowd:

       Middle aged white dudes filling about 3/4ths of the place. Not much to say. 

Overall:

       Again, free concert, can't complain. Each band brought their own brand of pleasant folk n' roll and I was never bored. Also it never felt like each band went on too long so I never felt like they were stretching their time. Good times had by all.

Score: 7/10

Magic Trick Concert Playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment